Disney Village Paris Fans

Disney Village Paris Fans

Tuesday 17 November 2015

Disneyland Paris - October 2015 - Trip Report - Food

Now it wouldn't be a trip to Disneyland Paris without trying any of the wonderful food on offer! I've already mentioned in previous articles about where we eat on our recent trip in October, so I'll be including some reviews for those places as well as telling you about some of the different places you can find food in the parks as well as in Disney Village, and also some of the places where we just enjoyed a drink. I'll also tell you a little bit about how you can use some of the food offers which may be included as part of your Disneyland Paris hotel package. I feel like I haven't written one of my trip reports for a while, so it's nice to get back into the swing of things!

Our trip this October was my first time using any of the Disney hotel food offers. When our holiday was booked we were lucky to have the Standard Half Board meal plan as part of our package. This was great because it would save us extra money on food each day. Another good thing about booking this was that we could both decide on where we would like to use the meal vouchers. I can't tell you exciting it was to look online at all the different places we could eat. Even though I've stayed at some of the hotels before and eaten breakfast in the restaurants, I had never had another meal in them. We wrote a list beforehand of where we wanted to use our meal vouchers and although I've lost that list, I'm pretty sure we eat at all the places we wanted to! We were still planning on where we wanted to eat while on the Eurostar journey to Disneyland Paris! 

La Grange at Billy Bob's Country Western Saloon, Disney Village

Our first meal was at La Grange, which is situated above Billy Bob's Country Western Saloon. Surprisingly being an avid Disney Village fan, I had never stepped foot inside Billy Bob's until this trip. The theming inside the bar downstairs was fantastic. Just like the name, Billy Bob's is themed like a saloon bar right out of the Wild West. La Grange is upstairs and features the same theming found downstairs. We presented our meal vouchers, ordered our drinks, then were shown to our table. I think it's fair to say we made a wise choice choosing this as our first food destination, because the food was delicious! There was a great mix of food, mostly barbecued meats and other Tex-Mex style food, similar to the choices at La Cantina at the Hotel Santa Fe. We were pleasantly surprised by this place, but then again, you don't expect poor food anywhere on a Disney site! My only disappointment with La Grange was the desserts on offer, I personally thought there could have been other choices. Still though, it was very enjoyable! After filling ourselves up, we left in good spirits, then headed back to the Disneyland Park to watch the first Dreams show of our trip. 

Rating: 7/10

La Grange is situated just above Billy Bob's. 

Rio Grande Bar, Hotel Santa Fe

After a very tiring first day, we just wanted to settle down after packing our bags and enjoy a nice cold drink! Instead of buying a bottle of drink in the hotel gift shop, we decided to treat ourselves and go to the Rio Grande Bar. Having never been there before, we really enjoyed it. Okay, it might not have very elaborate theming compared to some of the other Disney hotel bars, but it was still nice, and quite peaceful too. The bar was also showing the Rugby World Cup, which kept a lot of the guests occupied! We didn't visit the bar other than our first night, but we did enjoy it there, and I would definitely go back there on my next trip for a drink.


Rating: 6/10

Enjoy a peaceful drink at the Rio Grande Bar.

La Cantina, Hotel Santa Fe

Our first full day at Disneyland Paris began at our hotel's own restaurant, La Cantina. I had heard negative reviews about this place before we went, but I never really listen to them as I prefer to judge for myself, and I'm glad I did, because we loved it! The setting at La Cantina was great, it was like being in a roadside service station on Route 66, not surprising as the hotel is heavily themed after the famous Route 66 in America and the Cars films. Continental breakfast was on offer each morning, which suited me and my fiancee just fine. I've always thought that it's important to get a good breakfast at Disneyland Paris as it sets you up for the busy days ahead, so we certainly filled ourselves up each morning!

Breakfast wasn't the only times we visited La Cantina, we also eat there twice for dinner. We visited La Cantina for dinner on our second night and fourth and final night. I was interested to see what would be on choice at the buffet as it's not one of the ones that a lot of people mention when talking about the hotel buffets at Disneyland Paris. Just like in La Grange, we presented our dinner vouchers, then ordered our drinks and sat down at a table of our choice. One of the good things with La Cantina is the fact that you can choose to sit where you like. We were really pleasantly surprised with how good it was, hence why we eat there a second time! The food on offer for dinner service is a Tex-Mex style buffet, but there are plenty of other options. I enjoyed the tasty meats on offer, including spicy chicken, as well as roast gammon. As my other half would tell you, I love making wraps wherever I can, and this restaurant was no exception. I cut up a lot of the meat and put it in the wraps, as well as some grated cheese of course! Talking of cheese, one of my favourite things at La Cantina, was the fact that they offered the American style hot cheese sauce, perfect for nachos topping, and I certainly enjoyed a lot of it! The desserts on offer here were absolutely incredible! There were so many different cakes, yoghurts, mousses, fruit, just everything you could ever wish for when it comes to puddings. I honestly think that La Cantina doesn't get the credit it is definitely due. I personally think it's one of the best buffets I've ever had. After two lovely evening meals, I can honestly say that it is one of my favourite places to eat when at Disneyland Paris. Even if we don't end up staying at the Hotel Santa Fe on our next trip, we'll definitely be visiting La Cantina, that's a certainty!

Rating: 9/10

Breakfast out of a truck, quite a novelty!

Hunter's Grill, Sequoia Lodge Hotel

This was one of the hotel buffet restaurants that I had always wanted to visit. We decided to head to the Hunter's Grill at the Sequoia Lodge on our third night in Disneyland Paris. Although it wasn't listed as one of the restaurants on our meal plan, we could still eat there and use the meal vouchers to pay the difference, which wasn't that much. After enjoying another nice day in the parks, we went to change our clothes at our hotel, then headed towards the Sequoia Lodge. We had a table booked for the Hunter's Grill at 6pm when it opened. We queued up with some fellow Brits, who we had a nice chat with. After presenting our meal vouchers, we were seated by our waiter, I can't remember his name, but he was definitely one of the best waiters we had while dining anywhere on this trip. After ordering our drinks, we went up to the buffet, and stuffed ourselves silly! Okay, we weren't quite that bad! We did eat a lot of food though. Now the strange thing with Hunter's Grill is that I wasn't overly impressed with it. I liked it, but I felt it was lacking something. It was one of them sort of places where I thought to myself 'what is all the fuss about?' Don't get me wrong, the food was very lovely, and you could tell that some of the food (meats in particular) were better quality than some of the food at the other buffets. I was expecting a bigger buffet in all honesty. I actually thought it was one of the smallest buffets I'd seen at Disneyland Paris, but then again it makes up for it with the nice quality food. The theming wasn't anything special, I would even say that the theming at La Cantina and La Grange was better. This is my own personal opinion of course, and then again, the food is what matters most! At the end of the day though, we did enjoy our meal at Hunter's Grill, and would probably visit there again.

Rating: 7/10


Hunter's Grill is just inside the Sequoia Lodge on the right.

Planet Hollywood

If you have read any of my other blogs, then you will be well aware that Planet Hollywood is my favourite restaurant in Disney Village. I've always had a fondness for the Planet Hollywood restaurant chain, which stretches back to as far as I can remember. I still have fond memories of visiting Planet Hollywood at Gatwick Airport, which sadly closed quite a few years ago now. I used to love the original Planet Hollywood in London, which has now moved, and changed quite a bit. My favourite Planet Hollywood restaurant (well other than the one at Disneyland Paris) is definitely the one at Downtown Disney in Florida. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this was the first one that I ever visited. It is very similar in appearance to the Disney Village Planet Hollywood. Anyway, I should really talk about the one in Disney Village shouldn't I! Well what I love about the Disney Village Planet Hollywood is pretty much everything, and I mean everything! I love the theming, the food, the service, just everything! Being an absolute film fanatic, this is where I feel at home. I love all of the film props inside the restaurant. It's quite fun trying to guess which films they are from, although I like to think I know a lot of them! This is a great place for families to eat. The menu is primarily American style food, not surprising as it is originally an American chain, partly owned by the likes of Arnold Shwarzennegger and Sylvester Stallone. Planet Hollywood is known for it's tasty burgers. While I haven't eaten one of their burgers for years, my other half Laura has done.

On our trip this year, we decided to go here for my birthday meal, which was also our last day in Disneyland Paris. We came in for the lunch service, and it was pretty quiet, but then again, the parks were quite quiet as well. One of the things that always makes me laugh about Planet Hollywood in Disney Village is that I always get sat near other Brits. I'm not quite sure why this is but my guess would be that it's because they have waiting staff who have better English speaking skills working in that part of the restaurant. As it was my birthday, I thought I would treat myself to a white chocolate milkshake. Words cannot even describe how fantastic it tasted! I've never quite had a milkshake like it, it was just amazing! For my meal, I had the penne chicken broccoli, minus the broccoli! This has been a favourite dish of mine at Planet Hollywood restaurants for a long time now. It always tastes great, and this year was no exception. As I mentioned, Laura had one of the Planet Hollywood burgers, and as she wasn't talking, I knew she was enjoying it, because Laura doesn't tend to talk when she is enjoying her food! It was a very enjoyable meal as it always is at Planet Hollywood.

One thing that always gets to me about Planet Hollywood in Disney Village is the fact that a lot of people simply don't like it and tend to bash it a bit. I'll always defend it, but that's probably because I've been a fan for years. I cannot understand the hatred some people have for this place. Some people say it's dated, but I think the theming works, especially all the film props. The food is also very good, I've honestly never had a problem with food at any Planet Hollywood restaurant. Quite simply, I love this place, and our recent meal was very enjoyable here.

Rating: 10/10

Love Love Love this place!

The Sports Bar, Disney Village

Now we didn't eat here on our October trip or our trip last year but we did visit the bar for a couple of drinks. I personally think that the Sports Bar is a true gem in Disney Village, and not enough people visit it. Okay there may be a more adult vibe here as it is primarily a bar, but it is still very family friendly, and I've seen many families have a quiet drink here to relax after a busy day. There are many drinks on offer here, and it's probably the best place in the Disneyland Paris resort to grab a beer if that's what you fancy! As the name suggests, many live sports are shown on all the television screens inside the bar. There is also a very large screen on the wall opposite the outside seating area. This is one of the places in Disney Village where you're most likely to find fellow Brits. On our trip this year, we visited the Sports Bar twice. Both times were only for drinks, but they were at completely different times. The first time we visited was in the early afternoon, and it was very quiet inside. The bar staff were very efficient and friendly. The next day we came back here in the evening. We hadn't planned to visit again, but when I noticed one of the screens was broadcasting a Liverpool match, I couldn't resist watching my boys and having a pint of beer! I felt like a typical Brit on holiday, watching football and drinking a pint! I have to say there was a very goof atmosphere that evening. We visited during the Rugby World Cup, and the French match was on at the same time as the Liverpool game, so you can imagine how loud and passionate all the French were! It was a really good night!

Although we didn't eat on this trip or the previous trip, I have eaten here a couple of times before, and the food is very good. It's pretty much your typical American burgers and hotdogs fare, although being in Disney, it's better than average! I highly recommend a visit to the Sports Bar, whether it's to grab a quite bite to eat, or just a drink. 


8/10


Enjoy a beer while watching live sport here.

Rainforest Cafe, Disney Village

Now I just had to include this one in a Disneyland Paris food blog! We didn't actually visit the Rainforest Cafe on our October trip (although we visited the restaurant shop) but we did eat there last year, and I have on other trips too. As with Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe is a worldwide food chain, and it's another one associated with Disney. Like Downtown Disney in Florida has Planet Hollywood, it also has a Rainforest Cafe. When talking about Planet Hollywood, I mentioned how they have one in London. Funnily enough, there is also a Rainforest Cafe in London, literally just a five minute walk away from each other! Anyway, enough of me rambling on about London, time to talk about the Disney Village restaurant!

The theming inside the Rainforest Cafe is just like something out of a Disney attraction! As soon as you enter through the entrance, you have animals above your head which move about. To get to the restaurant, you have to walk through the shop first, which is pretty amazing in itself. Although most of the animals inside the restaurant are animatronics, there are also some pretty big tanks with very beautiful and exotic fish. A bit like Planet Hollywood, the menu here is very American in style. My other half Laura enjoyed a burger while I enjoyed a pasta dish with a rather cool name 'Rasta Pasta!' We really enjoyed our meal here, which wasn't surprising as I've always enjoyed my meals at all of the Rainforest Cafe's I've been to. If you have the chance to dine here, then go for it, you won't be disappointed!

Rating: 9/10

Even the theming outside is impressive here!

Plaza Gardens, Disneyland Park

Plaza Gardens has got to be the best place to eat in the Disneyland Park. Other than my favourite La Cantina, I would argue that Plaza Gardens is the best buffet restaurant in the whole Disneyland Paris resort. Sadly we couldn't eat in Plaza Gardens on our October trip because it was going through a refurbishment, but we did eat there for the first time last year. This was our first time eating at a Disney buffet and I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but quite honest, I was pleasantly surprised and loved it! I couldn't believe the wide range of food on offer here. There was literally everything you could think of! Meats, pastas, salads, breads, cheeses, desserts, everything! The theming inside was quite reminiscent of the Victorian era, similar to inside the Disneyland Hotel. It was very busy when we visited last year, and it was obvious to see why, with all the wonderful food on offer.


Rating: 8/10

Casey's Corner, Disneyland Park

Casey's Corner is a favourite of many Disneyland Paris fans, and it's very clear to see why. Casey's is very popular for it's famous hot dogs, which I personally love! There are also some other options like chicken nuggets and fries. One of the best things about this place is definitely the location of it. While there is seating inside, there is also seating outside, which many people take advantage of for viewing the evening Dreams show. Casey's Corner is a great place to grab something quick to eat, or something you can enjoy while strolling around the parks. We eat at Casey's a couple of times last year, but on our October trip, we used Casey's as part of our Pause Gourmande (Tea Time Treat) deal, and enjoyed it. One thing I will say though is expect to queue here. I've never seen Casey's Corner quiet, there are always large crowds there. The seating is also very limited, so consider yourself lucky if you manage to get a seat there!

Rating: 6/10

A standard pose for me outside Casey's Corner.

Meal Vouchers/Dining Plan

To finish, I would just like to let you know about our experience with the Disney Meal Plan. When booking our trip for October this year, we were lucky to have the Meal Plan included without any extra charge. We were given the Standard Half Board meal plan, which allowed us both to enjoy one meal per a day at any of the restaurants included. As I mentioned in the little restaurant reviews above, we used the meal plan at La Cantina, La Grange, and Hunter's Grill. It really is simple to use these vouchers. All you have to do is present the vouchers when you enter the restaurants, then your free to enjoy your meal, it's really as simple as that! Like we did at the Hunter's Grill, you can also use the vouchers at other restaurants available on more expensive meal plans, and all you have to do is pay the difference.

Again, I'd like to apologise for the delay in publishing this trip report. It's been a long time, but hopefully you've enjoyed reading this and it's been worth the wait! Thank you again for taking the time to read this, really means a lot to me.

I would also like to pay my respects to all of those who sadly passed away in the Paris tragedies last Friday. It was truly horrible, and I would like to send a prayer to every one of them souls, now resting up in heaven.

Keep sharing the Disney Village Paris love!


No comments:

Post a Comment